Sunday, September 14, 2014

A snapshot of transfer day

                It is amazing that another week has passed and it is time to write this blog once again.  It is a beautiful sunny evening here in Rancagua, along with the neighbor’s dog who enjoys voicing his opinion of all who pass by.
                Last Tuesday we had cambios or transfers.  I have discussed them before but decided this time around to try to give you a picture of the day by sharing the events in a time snapshot (hopefully this works):
2:30 a.m. Assistants, secretaries, elders who are going to the airport get up; assistant calls the apartment where the sisters going home are staying to get them up also.
3:30 a.m.  Two vans with all of the above plus suitcases leave for the airport.
5:00 a.m.  Arrive at the airport, begin checking in missionaries.  President Warne gets up (or maybe earlierJ.
6:30 a.m.  Latin missionaries coming from the MTC in Santiago are ready for pick-up.  One van leaves the airport to go to the MTC.  Sister Warne gets up (finally)J.
7:00 a.m. Senior couple arrive at the church/office to open up and start preparing for the arrivals.  President loads the car with food, etc. for the breakfast served at the church.
7:30 a.m.  22 missionaries arrive at the airport from Mexico, ready to collect their luggage and get through the customs process.
7:45 a.m. Warnes arrive at the church, unload the car, start slicing bread and making sandwiches (ham and cheese), cutting apples, putting out milk boxes.
8:15 a.m.  Missionaries arrive from the MTC (6 sisters).  It looks like rain so all suitcases have to be taken inside the building.  President starts interviewing new missionaries.  They will also have their picture taken, close their Facebook account, start the visa process, and eat breakfast, and receive their orientation booklet.
8:30 a.m.  Sister missionary arrives at the airport from Provo MTC, Elder J. (senior missionary) plus two elders help her get to Rancagua around 11:oo a.m.
9:30 a.m.  22 missionaries arrive, are greeted by President and Sister Warne, begin the process.
8-10:30 a.m.  Trainers arrive (experienced missionaries assigned as companions to the newly arrived)
11:00 a.m.  Training begins: President welcomes everyone, the nurse talks about staying healthy, the finance elder explains how the money works, trainers and new companions are announced.  This introduction to missionary companionship is very important and President spends a lot of time making sure the assignments are inspired.
12:30 p.m. Time for lunch:  completos (hot dogs), chips, soda and an oatmeal fudge cookie.  We plan for two completos per missionary.  The new ones hesitate, but the regulars know to take everything that is offered because it is the only real meal of the day.
1:30 p.m.  President and I have a picture with each new missionary.  We send these to each family so they know their missionary arrived safely.  The finance elder hands out the debit cards.
2:00 p.m.  Group picture outside, first with news, then with trainers.  We begin the process of sending groups to the bus station—three trips in two cars.  We hired two vans and they each take a group.  Various companionships leave in taxis.  Luggage is everywhere but at least it is sunny.
Chaos!  but hopefully controlled chaos
New missionaries!  we love to have them come
3:30 p.m.  Finally only the secretaries, President and myself and the sister who cooks for us are left.   We load everything back into the car, and head back to the mission home, leaving the secretaries to heave a sigh of relief that we all survived the day.
gorgeous orchards in bloom coming home today from Santa Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment