Sunday, December 13, 2015

Tender mercies

            This week I wanted to start by thanking those who comment.  This is embarrassing but I haven’t figured out how to respond to them privately so I’m doing it now—thanks!
I would like to share with you a few thoughts from the talk I gave at the Christmas zone conferences, as well as the challenge I gave them.  I based my talk on one by Elder David A. Bednar called “The Tender Mercies of the Lord”.  It is a great talk and well worth your time if you would care to read it. 
            Elder Bednar quotes part of a scripture, 1 Nephi 1:20, which talks about tender mercies and how the Lord is anxious to grant them.  I gave some examples of tender mercies from my own life, for example, my calling before the mission was as Relief Society pianist which has been a huge blessing as I often play for various branches or baptisms.  Another example is the help I have had in learning Spanish; even though it still isn’t great, I am way better than I was when we came to Chile.
            Then I asked the missionaries to volunteer examples from their own lives or missions and it was wonderful to hear them.  A few talked about their companions and how blessed they feel to have had them.  Others mentioned events that helped them with an investigator or other teaching opportunities.
            At the end I asked the missionaries to find ways to be a tender mercy for someone during this holiday season as they listen to the Spirit to know what they should do.  I know they are dedicated to serving every day, but I know also that they will have a memorable Christmas time as they find special ways to serve their companions, investigators, recent converts and the members.  I’d like to leave you with that same challenge: you too can make a difference this season.  It doesn’t take money or need to be complicated but you can be a tender mercy for someone in your life. 

different faces, same place, right?  lunch after the games
maybe you can see there are several different groups
Enjoying the video after lunch
waiting for their turn at kickball/baseball
a practice during the training meeting on Friday--and you can
see the tree!
the assistants are teaching and the one elder is sneaking a peek
          

No comments:

Post a Comment